Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Being Thoughtfull: My view



I’ve always wanted to be a journalist, despite the fact that I change my mind very often, a part of me always knew that journalism tied everything I loved and wanted together. Another part of me didn’t feel right. I’ve hoped to work for a fashion magazine someday, cliché, but, I never pictured myself fitting “in” with my imaginary co-workers. I in vision working for a fashion magazine would be something like how it is in the movie “The Devil Wears Prada”, even if my boss is not as evil as the movie’s, the concept is still the same. The magazine would be filled with pictures of photoshopped ,perfectly polished, feather weight models (who, not to mention, ruin every chocolate loving teenage girl’s dream of looking beautiful) wearing clothes that cost more than what most average people make in a year.
A part from the false image of beauty, and the misconception between fashion and style, these images are directed towards a certain crowd that think, and live in a different way than the less wealthy, yet everyone buys them, and fall into their traps thinking that looking like that is key to gaining respect and popularity among our evil and judgmental society .Those images magically lure us into buying whatever it is they’re promoting, even if it isn’t necessary. Now isn’t that what advertising is all about? Yes, but that’s a whole other story. In other words, your worth is not determined by the price of what you’re wearing, if so, then many of the higher ranked people should be wearing nothing at all.
Personally, growing up, I started to make better choices in my life, and I began to choose “quality” over quantity, not picking up the cheapest things out there, but investing in long lasting and durable goods. What that doesn’t mean is that a handbag can cost 20k, and id still buy it for the quality, or id buy it because its “in”, or because its designer, or due to the fact that it’ll make me more accepted amongst others. NO!! Why do people do these horrible acts? To me, it’s simply not right for someone to spend all that even if they can afford it, when there are people out there picking out their lunch from dump yards, and yes I’ve seen it with my own eyes! Which explains why I’m more furious over the crazy sums of money people spend on pointless possessions.
Disclaimer, I am not saying I’ve never bought designer and that I don’t spend extra money on what I buy, in fact I do own designer objects, many of which I’ve picked up during sales, and from outlets simply because I’m paying for the quality of what I buy rather than buying something cheap elsewhere that won’t last and would be a waste. I am someone who takes good care of what they own, and I prefer that what I get would last me a long time. I just don’t approve of paying the very hefty prices.
Now what did a fashion magazine have to do with all this ? Well, simply, it is the destination for all that is insane, where the idea of saving money is to pay less, when even though you’re paying less, it’s still really expensive. Now why should I pay 1,000 AED for a plain white t-shirt? Do I really not know where else to throw that money away? It’s just bizarre..
Not everything that’s designer is good, it’s not bad either, but every once in a while, we should really take a look back, and re-evaluate, what are we really paying for??? And we should always remind ourselves of the less fortunate out there, and remember that we all end up in the same place anyways..
Despite the fact that many would beg to differ with my opinion, I respect everyone’s point of view, and this is just means that I wish and hope for a better tomorrow, for everyone out there, and for us to be more thoughtful towards others, specifically the less fortunate..
           Farida Sherif.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment