Sunday, February 22, 2015

Rant: "The Imperfections and Beauty"




Today I wanted to get personal, and share a story with you all that may seem so simple, but carried a lot of meaning to me. Some people are used to different things and if you can't relate to something, it's always best to look at it from a different perspective, this drastically changes things.
The reason I'm talking about this is because as a girl, maybe even some guys out there feel it too, but mostly among us, social media and everything around us may make  makes us feel insecure. We feel compelled to look and be a certain way, even if we chose to be strong and do our own thing, it's always in the back of our minds. Maybe because people judge us too harshly? Perhaps, but why do we place a large emphasis on pleasing everyone, that we forget to please ourselves...

Because some days I love my overly hooded eyes and my imperfect skin.. other days I loathe the fact that I was born looking like this. We all have our good days and bad days, it's only how we choose to deal with them that determines whether they'll take a toll on us or not.

Did you ever scroll down instagram wishing you were someone else? I certainly had that for a while.. I'd look at some girls and say "damn.. I wish I looked like that" or " I wish I was pretty", "why did I not win the genetic lottery". As if there was one way to determine perfection and that somehow the presence of these seemingly perfect girls made mine less significant. This in no way undermines that these girls really are beautiful, more so highlighting the shallow look we give ourselves. The question here is why do I look at pictures, that may be edited, and then hate myself? I take pride in my confidence, and my lack of everyday makeup has proven that I've gotten a lot better at enjoying other things. I went from religiously wearing eyeliner and mascara all throughout junior year, freshman year and sophomore too.. To my senior year when some days mascara is only a shield from the never ending question of "are you okay?".

Funny true story here, one day I woke up with a lot of pimples on my forehead, and a blotch of them on my cheek. I was late to school, and I was going back and forth with my choice of makeup. Which one will I wear to hide this because going barefaced was out of question. Then it somehow hit me. So what?! Will people look at me differently because my face was more pink? and the answer wasn't a simple no. The answer was that people will look at me and most probably not care. All that actually mattered was how I saw myself that day. The difference between a good day and a bad day, is how I choose to react to things. Whether I chose courage, over melancholy. Should I feel bad about my skin or should I enjoy the fact that I could be happy over other things.

We've all heard this before, but it doesn't always work that way. "If we want to be pretty,  its okay." Desire to be beautiful isn't directly proportional to narcissism, or being shallow. It just means we're human, with human desires. But for the next time we feel down, here are a few things to remember;

  • People's lives are different, the pictures you see aren't a true depiction of their reality. There will always be a filter, literally, people filter out what they show you and what they don't. 
  • Nature's imperfections are beauty, your freckles are beautiful, your dimples, and so is your smile *even if not everyone see's it, they don't have to, keep it for the right people who do*
  • You could be the juiciest ripest peach on the tree and you will still find someone that doesn't like peaches. 
  • A rose has it's thorns, they add to it's beauty, only the brave dare to touch. Wanting to be a fresh rose isn't "bad", just remember that all roses wilt, eventually, it is only the significance of their presence that remains. 
  • Just be yourself. Let people see the real, imperfect, flawed, quirky, weird, beautiful & magical person that you are.
  • Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.—  Marilyn Monroe
  • It is easy to believe you are not good enough if you listen to everybody else….
  • Find other things that you love about yourself, and love them. 
  • Loving yourself is the best thing you'll ever do.

I want to be beautiful

The way worn-out things are:

Touched by time,

And proud to be
Rough around the edges
With a story to tell.—  M.S.

Isn't it bizarre? A girl could be really pretty, beautiful, intelligent, smart, witty, funny, and has a great personality. Do you think her boyfriend would break up with her? Do you think she would't have guys lined up at her door waiting for her to talk to them. The answer to both questions should be clear, but the truth is otherwise. Some girls with strong personalities choose to do so for themselves, regardless of anyone's approval, they choose to see themselves as pretty, beautiful, smart etc.. That's why they're right, regardless of physical features, it is only a matter of choice, the way you see yourself is more important than how others see you. However, the way you see yourself determines how you let other people see you. 
Thank you. 
Much love xx -Farida Sherif

Pictures and quotes-Tumblr



No comments:

Post a Comment